A novel coffee oil extraction procedure employing pressurized solvents
Pinto J. S. S., Nixdorf S. L., Sinisterrra M. J., Lanças F. M.
Keywords: Coffee oil, arabica coffee, pressurized solvent extraction (PSE), accelerated solvent extraction (ASE), green analytical chemistry (GAC)
Abstract: In the present work, roasted coffee bean oil was obtained using two extraction methods, a pressurized solvent extraction system (PSE) and a method endorsed by the AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists) INTERNATIONAL, using a Soxhlet extraction system. The yields (% w/w) obtained in each of them were similar, which allowed the conditions of each method to be compared, demonstrating that in the PSE the solvent consumption (20 mL) and the extraction time (20 min) is less at the volume used in the Soxhlet system (200mL) and the analysis time used (480 min). This makes PSE a promising extraction method for use in industry.
- Hurtado-Benavides A, Dorado DA, Sánchez-Camargo ADP. Study of the fatty acid profile and the aroma composition of oil obtained from roasted Colombian coffee beans by supercritical fluid extraction. J Supercrit Fluids. 2016 Jul 1;113:44–52.
- Chaichi M, Ghasemzadeh-Mohammadi V, Hashemi M, Mohammadi A. Furanic compounds and furfural in different coffee products by headspace liquid-phase micro-extraction followed by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry: survey and effect of brewing procedures. Food Addit Contam Part B [Internet]. 2015 Jan 2 [cited 2020 Jun 8];8(1):73–80. Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19393210.2014.981601
- Lee LW, Cheong MW, Curran P, Yu B, Liu SQ. Modulation of coffee aroma via the fermentation of green coffee beans with Rhizopus oligosporus: I. Green coffee. Food Chem. 2016 Nov 15;211:916–24.
- Caporaso N, Whitworth MB, Cui C, Fisk ID. Variability of single bean coffee volatile compounds of Arabica and robusta roasted coffees analysed by SPME-GC-MS. Food Res Int. 2018 Jun 1;108:628–40.
- Díaz FO, Ormaza AM, Rojano B n. A. Effect of coffee roasting (Coffea Arabica l. var. Castillo) on cup profile, antioxidant compound content and antioxidant activity. Inf Tecnol. 2018 Aug 1;29(4):31–42.
- Jenkins RW, Stageman NE, Fortune CM, Chuck CJ. Effect of the type of bean, processing, and geographical location on the biodiesel produced from waste coffee grounds. Energy and Fuels. 2014 Feb 20;28(2):1166–74.
- Raba DN, Poiana MA, Borozan AB, Stef M, Radu F, Popa MV. Investigation on crude and high-temperature heated coffee oil by ATR-FTIR spectroscopy along with antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. PLoS One. 2015 Sep 14;10(9).
- Kobelnilk M, Fontanari GG, Cassimiro DL, Ribeiro CA, Crespi MS. Thermal behavior of coffee oil (Robusta and Arabica species). J Therm Anal Calorim. 2014 Mar 16;115(3):2045–52.
- Nosari ABFL, Lima JF, Serra OA, Freitas LAP. Improved green coffee oil antioxidant activity for cosmetical purpose by spray drying microencapsulation. Brazilian J Pharmacogn. 2015 May 1;25(3):307–11.
- Sajjadi B, Chen WY, Raman AAA, Ibrahim S. Microalgae lipid and biomass for biofuel production: A comprehensive review on lipid enhancement strategies and their effects on fatty acid composition. Vol. 97, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Elsevier Ltd; 2018. p. 200–32.
- Khaw K-Y, Parat M-O, Shaw PN, Falconer JR. Solvent Supercritical Fluid Technologies to Extract Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources: A Review. Molecules [Internet]. 2017 Jul 14 [cited 2020 Jun 8];22(7):1186. Available from: http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/22/7/1186
- Campos-Vega R, Loarca-Piña G, Vergara-Castañeda HA, Dave Oomah B. Spent coffee grounds: A review on current research and future prospects. Vol. 45, Trends in Food Science and Technology. Elsevier Ltd; 2015. p. 24–36.
- Phimsen S, Kiatkittipong W, Yamada H, Tagawa T, Kiatkittipong K, Laosiripojana N, et al. Oil extracted from spent coffee grounds for bio-hydrotreated diesel production. Energy Convers Manag. 2016 Oct 15;126:1028–36.
- Topala CM, Tataru LD. Infrared Spectra of Green Arabica Coffee Extraction using Supercritical Carbon Dioxide and Soxhlet Technique [Internet]. [cited 2020 Jun 8]. Available from: http://www.revistadechimie.ro
- Torres-Moreno M, Torrescasana E, Salas-Salvadó J, Blanch C. Nutritional composition and fatty acids profile in cocoa beans and chocolates with different geographical origin and processing conditions. Food Chem. 2015 Jan 1;166:125–32.
- Efthymiopoulos I, Hellier P, Ladommatos N, Russo-Profili A, Eveleigh A, Aliev A, et al. Influence of solvent selection and extraction temperature on yield and composition of lipids extracted from spent coffee grounds. Ind Crops Prod. 2018 Sep 1;119:49–56.
- Armenta S, Garrigues S, de la Guardia M. The role of green extraction techniques in Green Analytical Chemistry. Vol. 71, TrAC – Trends in Analytical Chemistry. Elsevier B.V.; 2015. p. 2–8.
- Pinto JSS, Lanças FM. Design, construction and evaluation of a simple pressurized solvent extraction system. J Braz Chem Soc. 2009;20(5):913–7.