Microextraction by packed sorbent (MEPS) for determination of drugs in biological fluids
Queiroz, Maria Eugênia C.
Palavras-chave: Microextraction by packed sorbent, drugs, biological samples.
Resumo: Microextraction by packed sorbent (MEPS) is a new sample preparation technique developed in 2004. Actually, MEPS is a miniaturization of conventional solid phase extraction (SPE) packed bed devices from mililitre bed volumes to microlitre volumes. The key factor in MEPS is that the volume of solvent used to elute the analytes from the extraction process is of a suitable order of magnitude to be injected directly on-line into Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography or Capillary Electrophoresis systems, without any modification of the instrument. This review focuses on MEPS theory and applications. MEPS procedure with different steps (sample preparation, analytes pre-concentration, sorbent washing, and analytes elution) is discussed for biological samples. A short overview of recent and successful applications of MEPS for determination of drugs and their metabolites in different biological matrices (plasma, urine, blood, hair) for therapeutic drug monitoring, doping inspection, biomarkers analysis, and forensic toxicology are also summarized.
1. Abdel-Rehim M. Recent advances in microextraction by packed sorbent for bioanalysis. Journal of Chromatography A 2010; 1217(16):2569. PMid:19811788. http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/j.chroma.2009.09.053
2. Abdel-Rehim M, Altun Z, Blomberg L. Microextraction in packed syringe (MEPS) for liquid and gas chromatographic applications. Part II – Determination of ropivacaine and its metabolites in human plasma samples using MEPS with liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Mass Spectrometry 2004; 39:1488-93. PMid:15578759. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jms.731
3. Abdel-Rehim M, Hassan Z, Skansem P, Hassan M. Simultaneous Determination of Busulphan in Plasma Samples by Liquid Chromatographyelectrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry Utilizing Microextraction in Packed Syringe (MEPS) as On-line Sample Preparation Method. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies 2007.; 30:3029. PMCid:1176066. http://dx.doi. org/10.1080/10826070701632337
4. El-Beqqali A, Kussak A, Blomberg L, Abdel- Rehim M. Microextraction in Packed Syringe/ Liquid Chromatography/Electrospray Tandem Mass Spectrometry for Quantification of Acebutolol and Metoprolol in Human Plasma and Urine Samples. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies 2007; 30:575. PMCid:1176066. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10826070601093895
5. El-Beqqali A, Kussak A, Abdel-Rehim M. Determination of dopamine and serotonin in human urine samples utilizing microextraction online with liquid chromatography/electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Separation Science 2007.; 30(3):421-24. PMid:17396602. http://dx.doi. org/10.1002/jssc.200600369
6. Miyaguchi H, Iwata YT, Kanamori T, Tsujikama K, Inoue H. Rapid identification and quantification of methamphetamine and amphetamine in hair by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry coupled with micropulverized extraction, aqueous acetylation and microextraction by packed sorbent. Journal of Chromatography A 2009; 1216(18):4063-70. PMid:19286186. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2009.02.093
7. Said R, Hassan Z, Hassan M, Abdel-Rehim M. Rapid and Sensitive Method for Determination of Cyclophosphamide in Patients Plasma Samples Utilizing Microextraction by Packed Sorbent Online with Liquid Chromatography‐Tandem Mass Spectrometry (MEPS-LC-MS/MS). Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies 2008.; 31:683. PMCid:1176066. http://dx.doi. org/10.1080/10826070701853867
8. Jagerdeo E, Abdel-Rehim MZ. Screening of cocaine and its metabolites in human urine samples by direct analysis in real-time source coupled to time-of-flight mass spectrometry after online preconcentration utilizing microextraction by packed sorbent. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry 2009; 20(5):891-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jasms.2009.01.010
9. Morales-Cid G, Cardenas S, Simonet BM, Valcarcel M. Fully Automatic Sample Treatment by Integration of Microextraction by Packed Sorbents into Commercial Capillary Electrophoresis−Mass Spectrometry Equipment: Application to the Determination of Fluoroquinolones in Urine. Analytical Chemistry 2009; 81.(8):3188-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac900234j
10. Chaves AR, Leandro FZ, Carris JA, Queiroz MEC. Microextraction in packed sorbent for analysis of antidepressants in human plasma by liquid chromatography and spectrophotometric detection. Journal of Chromatography B 2010; 878(23):2123-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2010.06.023
11. Vičková H, Solichová D, Bláha M, Solich P, Nováková L. Microextraction by packed sorbent as sample preparation step for atorvastatin and its metabolites in biological samples-Critical evaluation. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2011; 55(2):301-8. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2011.01.025
12. Saracino MA, Lazzara G, Prugnoli B, Raggi MA. Rapid assays of clozapine and its metabolites in dried blood spots by liquid chromatography and microextraction by packed sorbent procedure. Journal of Chromatography A 2011; 1218(16):2153-9. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2011.01.071.