Fractionated subcritical carbon dioxide extraction of triacyglycerides from coffea arabica
Moreira J. J. S., Pinto J. S. S., Oliveira T. C., Lanças F. M.
Keywords: SFE; HT-HRGC, Coffea arabica oil, Subcritical fluid extraction, Green Analytical Chemistry (GAC)
Abstract: A commercially essential coffee specie is Coffea arabica L. Most commercial coffee beverages are made from arabica beans or its blends. Consequently, the arabica variety has a higher price. Oxidation of lipids in coffee stored for a long time has been reported with the loss of coffee quality. Although the behavior of coffee lipids during storage has not been systematically examined, few studies have been reported on the release of fatty acids. Chemical analysis can then be applied to the quality control of the lipid fraction. Using this approach, a method for the analysis of triacylglycerides (TAGs) by high-temperature high-resolution gas chromatography with flame ionization detection (HT-HRGC/FID), after supercritical or subcritical fluid extraction (SFE/SbFE), was developed. The extraction was performed with a home-made SFE in the Coffea arabica L. oil sample. TAGs composition of Brazilian Coffea arabica oil was found to go from as T52 a T56.
- Armenta S, Garrigues S, Esteve-Turrillas FA, de la Guardia M. Green extraction techniques in green analytical chemistry. TrAC – Trends Anal Chem. 2019;116:248–53.
- Sheibani A, Ghaziaskar HS. Pressurized fluid extraction of pistachio oil using a modified supercritical fluid extractor and factorial design for optimization. LWT – Food Sci Technol. 2008;41(8):1472–7.
- Silva RPFF, Rocha-Santos TAP, Duarte AC. Supercritical fluid extraction of bioactive compounds. TrAC Trends Anal Chem. 2016;76:40–51.
- Bahruddin S, Basheer C. Sample Preparation Methods for the Analysis of Biogenic Amines. In: Biogenic Amines in Food: Analysis, Occurrence and Toxicity. Royal Society of Chemistry; 2019. p. 212–38.
- Płotka-Wasylka J, Rutkowska M, Owczarek K, Tobiszewski M, Namieśnik J. Extraction with environmentally friendly solvents. TrAC Trends Anal Chem. 2017;91:12–25.
- Pronyk C, Mazza G. Design and scale-up of pressurized fluid extractors for food and bioproducts. J Food Eng. 2009;95(2):215–26.
- Khezeli T, Ghaedi M, Bahrani S, Daneshfar A. Supercritical fluid extraction in separation and preconcentration of organic and inorganic species. In: Soylak M, Yilmaz EBT, editors. New Generation Green Solvents for Separation and Preconcentration of Organic and Inorganic Species. Elsevier; 2020. p. 425–51.
- Pinto JSS, Lanças FM. Design, construction and evaluation of a simple pressurized solvent extraction system. J Braz Chem Soc. 2009;20(5):913–7.
- Montoya MF, Sánchez FA, Pereda S. Equilibrium in Pressurized Systems (Sub and Supercritical). In: Pereira CGBT-T of PE in FE, editor. Thermodynamics of Phase Equilibria in Food Engineering. Academic Press; 2019. p. 385–418.
- McHug M, Krukonis V. Supercritical Fluid Extraction: Principles and Practice. 2nd ed. Butterworth-Heinemann; 1994.
- Hamdan S, Daood HG, Toth-Markus M, Illés V. Extraction of cardamom oil by supercritical carbon dioxide and sub-critical propane. J Supercrit Fluids. 2008;44(1):25–30.
- Acompanhamento da Safra Brasileira de Café. Monit Agrícola. 2020;6(1):1–62.
- Nikolova-Damyanova B, Velikova R, Jham GN. Lipid classes, fatty acid composition and triacylglycerol molecular species in crude coffee beans harvested in Brazil. Food Res Int. 1998;31(6):479–86.
- Jham GN, Muller HV, Cecon P. Triacylglycerol molecular species variation in stored coffee beans determined by reverse-high-performance liquid chromatography/refractive index detector. J Stored Prod Res. 2008;44(1):82–9.
- Toci AT, Neto VJMF, Torres AG, Farah A. Changes in triacylglycerols and free fatty acids composition during storage of roasted coffee. LWT – Food Sci Technol. 2013;50(2):581–90.
- Pereira AS, Padilha MC, Neto FRA. Two decades of high temperature gas chromatography (1983–2003): what’s next? Microchem J. 2004;77(2):141–9.
- Pinto JSS, Lanças FM. Hydrolysis of corn oil using subcritical water. J Braz Chem Soc. 2006;17(1):85–9.
- Pinto JSDS, Lanças FM. Hydrolysis of azadirachta indica oil using subcritical water and determination of triacylglycerides and fat acids by HT-HRGC-FID and HRGC-MS. Quim Nova. 2010;33(2):394–7.
- Pinto JSDS, Esmeraldo A, Lanças FM. Design and Construction of an on-line SPE-SFE-CGC System. J Braz Chem Soc. 2001;12(2):192–5.
- King JW, Holliday RL, List GR. Hydrolysis of soybean oil . in a subcritical water flow reactor. Green Chem. 1999;1(6):261–4.
- Brogle H. CO2 as a solvent: Its properties and applications. Chem Ind. 1982;12:385–90.